The BC government has announced that people aged 55 to 65 living in the lower continent can sign up on Wednesday to receive a dose of the Astrazenka-Oxford vaccine.
The announcement came on Tuesday when health officials in the county reported 840 new cases of COVID-19 but no more deaths.
In a statement, Health Minister Adrian Dix said any of Vancouver’s beach beaches and Fraser Health in this age range can call the local pharmacy to book an appointment for the vaccine.
A parachute service may also be an option for more than 150 participating pharmacies. People must bring their personal health number.
The announcement comes a day after British Columbia health officials suspended the use of AstraZeneca vaccines among people under the age of 55 in response to European reports of rare but potentially fatal blood clots.
Similar steps are being taken across Canada in response to the recommendations of the National Advisory Committee on Vaccines (NACI).
Health officials said the break was an opportunity to use these doses to protect people with higher COVID-19 risks.
“We know that the millions of doses used worldwide, especially in the UK, are extremely effective and the benefits to people over the age of 55 far outweigh the real risks of receiving COVID-19,” District Health Officer Dr Bonnie Henry said in a statement.
“I recommend to anyone in the Lower Continent aged 55 to 65 to get their safe and effective vaccine for COVID-19 today.”
Active cases remain high
Henry and Dix also updated the county’s COVID-19 numbers on Tuesday, bringing the number of hospitalized patients to 312, 78 of them in intensive care.
There are currently 7,062 active cases of corona virus in the county – the highest number since January 3 – with public health officials monitoring 11,164 people across the count who are in self-isolation due to COVID-19 exposure.
A total of 90,401 people tested positive for the virus have recovered, while 1,455 people BC have died due to COVID-19 since the onset of the epidemic early last year.
To date, 724,193 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been given in the province, with 87,319 of these being two doses.
BC on Tuesday recorded 320 new cases related to a variety of concerns, raising the total number of varying cases in the county to 2,553. Of these, 313 are active cases.
New restrictions in effect
On Monday, the county recorded 2,518 new cases of COVID-19 over the weekend, with a record 936 on Saturday.
To disrupt the booming broadcast, Henry announced new restrictions that apply until at least April 19th.
They include the closure of all indoor food establishments, the suspension of group fitness classes for adults and the temporary closure of the Whistler-Blackcomb ski resort.
Henry also outlined new guidelines for school masks on Monday for elementary school children that will help stem the rise in cases. The new guidelines now recommend masks for all students up to fourth grade in schools across the county.
Henry was joined by Premier John Horgan, who examined British Colombians aged 20 to 39 as the recycling group that did not pay enough attention to COVID-19’s public health orders.
The number of whistling cases has increased
Vancouver Coastal Health reported continued growth in whistleblowing on Tuesday.
In a statement, VCH said that between March 22-28, 218 new cases of COVID-19 were detected in Whistler, and 83.2 percent of cases were detected in people aged 20 to 39.
The Health Authority said that between January 1 and March 28, 1,120 cases were registered in the Whistler community.
VCH said the most common broadcast locations in Whistler are home settings and social gatherings.