The owner of a fashionable restaurant in Vancouver says he is "very sorry," after a customer claimed to have found a rat in a soup bowl.
The video was posted in Instagram on Thursday, claiming that a friend found the creature in a bowl of soup at Crab Park Chowdery, a country-style coffee shop in Gastown, serving a clamshell texture and soup in bread bowls.
The plant owner, Ashton Phillips, who opened the popular restaurant two years ago, was in shock and distrust on Friday. He said they had very strict safety measures and he just did not understand how it got to the soup.
"We do everything in our power to understand what happened," Phillips said very sentimental.
According to him, two young women dined around 3 pm Thursday when they claim to have found a rat or mouse in the soup.
Following a social media post, many negative reviews began to appear on sites like Yelp, something Phillips says "completely devastated" his team.
He said the soup was done in a 50 liter steam kettle with a sealed lid. He noted that as soon as the soup is made it "lidded".
"You have to cover soup, it's a food safety index and we always take it," he said.
"It's just impossible that a rat goes in. We're confused."
Phillips said he did not want to make any accusations against anyone and he takes full responsibility for the incident.
"We are deeply sorry, we will continue to do everything in our power to reach the bottom."
"This business was my dream, and we're a very ranked restaurant, it was a very hard day … we're trying to do the right thing," he said, a shaky voice.
The instagram user who posted the video, pisun_ne_ne, called but has not yet responded.
The Vancouver Health Authority said it received several complaints Friday morning about the incident at Crab Park Chowdery.
"We're checking it out and visiting the restaurant today," said Tiffany Akins, a spokeswoman for Vancouver Beach.
The last VCH examined the restaurant in October. He had four health and safety offenses, including the fact that the basic assumption was not kept in sanitary condition.
Akins noted that in February there were signs of rodents.
She added that all restaurants are inspected at least once a year.