Wednesday , August 4 2021

The unemployment rate rises to 6.4 percent, the lowest in the years: StatCan



OTTAWA – The employment gap between new and Canadian-born workers continues to decline as immigrants constitute a growing percentage of the Canadian labor force.

According to a Canada 24 report from Canada Canada, the unemployment rate of immigrants is at the lowest level since 2006, when the first data were collected.

The unemployment rate among working-age immigrants in Canada is 6.4% compared to 2017. On the other hand, the rate of unemployment among Canadian-born immigrants was 5% in that year.

The study, published on December 24, reviewed Canadian labor market data from 2006 to 2017. The data are based specifically on data from the monthly Labor Force Survey, which focus on disabled immigrants aged 25-54, age.

He found that in 2017 the core rate of working-age workers rose to 78.9%, the highest since the data agency of Canada began tracking the employment rates of new employees.

This is in contrast to the employment rate of those born in Canada, which stood at 84% in 2017.

Overall, immigrants now constitute 26% of the Canadian workforce, with Canadian workers constituting the remaining 74%. The number of immigrants in the Canadian labor force continues to grow, while the share of the labor force composed of workers born in Canada has decreased.

"Most of the growth in immigrant employment was in the field of professional, scientific and technical services, finance, insurance, real estate and rent, production, health and social assistance," the report said.

Immigrants to Canada are more likely to be educated at university than Canadian-born citizens. In 2017, 49.5 percent of the rising labor force had academic degrees, while 30.3 percent of workers born in Canada had degrees.

Among the other key findings of the report:

  • Most (66%) of national employment growth between 2016 and 2017 was due to immigrants aged 25-54 and Canadian-born workers aged 55 and over;

  • In 2017, immigrants from the Philippines had the highest employment rates (88.5%) of all groups, followed by European-born immigrants (85.7%); African migrants had the lowest employment rates in all groups, at 72.5% in 2017;

  • Among educated immigrants, half of employment growth in 2017 is attributed to immigrants who have been in Canada for more than a decade; and

  • Almost one-third of total employment in 2017 is attributed to immigrants who have been in Canada for five years or less.

"Immigration plays a critical role to help meet the challenges of our job market, grow local businesses and create jobs for Canadians," said Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Ahmed Hussain on Twitter on the Statan numbers.

He also said that employment is key to the successful integration of new immigrants into Canada.

Employment data by region

The study also shows that all districts have experienced an increase in core age groups since data collection in 2006.

British Columbia and Ontario continue to be the largest share of immigrants, while Alberta Saskatchewan has seen both substantial increases in migrants at the core age since 2006.

Atlantic Canada The share of the core age population consisting of migrants remains the lowest nationwide, at 6 percent in 2017 and over 3 percent in 2006.

Among the major metropolitan areas, in 2017, Toronto had the largest (37%) of Canada's adult immigrant population, although this percentage was lower than in 2006 (42%). Meanwhile, other major cities such as Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton saw an increase in the number of immigrants who make up their workforce.

The report predicts that in 2036, almost half of the Canadian population will consist of immigrants and two-generation people.


Source link