"Google has completed business with Huawei, which requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services, except those that are available to the public through open source licenses," a source close to the subject told Reuters on Sunday (May 19) around the world.
Huawei's current smartphone owners with Google applications will continue to use and download the app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesman said, confirming Reuters' previous reports.
"We are committed to order and review the implications," a Google spokesman said.
"For our users, Google Play and Google Play Protect security protections will continue to work on Huawei's existing devices," the spokesman said, without giving further details.
The suspension could dampen Huawei 's smartphone business outside of China, as the technology giant will immediately lose access to Google' s Android operating systems. Future versions of Huawei smartphones running on Android will also lose access to popular services, including the Google Play Store and Gmail and YouTube.
"HAVAWAY can only use the public version of Android and you will not be able to access Google's proprietary applications and services," the source said.
Trump administration on Thursday added Huawei Technologies Co Ltd to blacklist trading, immediately enacting restrictions which would make it very difficult for the company to do business with colleagues in the US.
On Friday, the US Department of Commerce said it is considering back restrictions on Huawei to "avoid disruption of existing network operations and equipment." It was not clear on Sunday whether Huawei's approach to mobile software will be affected.
The extent to which Huawei will be hit by the US government's blacklist is still unknown as its global supply chain appreciates the impact.Coopers have questioned Huawei's ability to continue to operate without help from the United States.
Details of the specific services affected by the suspension are still discussed internally at Google, according to the source. Lawyers Huawei also study the impact of the blacklist, Huawei spokesman said on Friday.
Huawei was not immediately accessible for further comment.
Chip manufacturers, including Intel Corp., Qualcomm, Xilinx Inc. and Broadcom Inc., have told employees that they will not provide critical software to Huawei until further notice, Bloomberg reported last week, citing people familiar with the issue.
Intel, Qualcomm, Shilinks and Broadcom did not immediately respond to requests for comments on the Bloomberg report.
Representatives of the US Department of Commerce did not respond immediately.
Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through open source license, known as Android Open Source Project (AOSP) that is available free of charge to anyone who wants to use it. There are about 2.5 billion active Android devices worldwide, according to Google.
However, Google will stop providing Huawei access, technical support and collaboration, including its proprietary applications and services, the source said.
Huawei said it has spent the last few years preparing a contingency plan by developing its technology in case it is blocked using Android. Some of this technology has been used in products sold in China, the company said.
In an interview with Reuters in March, Eric Xu, Huawei's rotating chairman, struck a defiant note ahead of reprisals by US companies. "No matter what happens, the Android community has no legal right to block any company from accessing its open source license," he said.
Popular Google apps like Gmail, YouTube, and the Chrome browser available through Google's Google Store will disappear from future Huawei devices, as these services are not covered by the open source license and require a commercial agreement with Google.
But existing Huawei devices that have access to the Google Play store will still be able to download app updates provided by Google. Apps such as Gmail are updated through the store, unlike the operating system updates that are usually handled by phone manufacturers and carriers, which the blacklist could affect, the source said.
The impact is expected to be minimal in the Chinese market. Most Google mobile apps are banned in China, where alternatives are offered by local competitors such as Tencent and Baidu.
Huawei's European business, the second largest market, can be hit as Huawei licenses these services from Google Europe.
"These applications are critical for smart phone manufacturers to remain competitive in regions like Europe," said Jeff Blaber, vice president of research, CCS Insight.