Tuesday , May 11 2021

SpaceX suffers a serious setback with an accident capsule team in Kingman Daily Miner



SpaceX suffered from a severe shortage of efforts to launch NASA astronauts this year, with the hot loss of its first capsule during the test.

Over the weekend, the capsule of the company's newly flown dragon crew was swallowed up in smoke and flames on a shelf of a test drive on Cape Canaveral. SpaceX was testing the ferment of the dragon when Saturday's accident occurred.

The company said the inspection area was clear and no one was hurt.

The capsule flew to the International Space Station last month for a test run without a crew, and was scheduled to re-use the launch test in June. Another capsule was supposed to go with two astronauts in July. Astronauts have not launched from Florida since 2011.

NASA said yesterday that it is too early to change target launch dates, considering that the accident is still fresh.

"That's why we're testing," said NASA Administrator Jim Breedenstein in a statement at the end of the week. "We'll learn, we'll make the necessary adjustments safely ahead with our commercial team plan."

By Saturday, SpaceX had been on roll to resume a team launching from Florida. The test flight from Earth to the space station and back was smooth. SuperDraco thrusters embedded in the sides of the capsule were not used during the demonstration.

The impulses are essential to protect the astronauts in flight; They are designed to shoot in an emergency and pull the capsule safely from the rocket.

Garrett Reisman of the University of Southern California, a former NASA astronaut who ran the SpaceX space activity until last year, said that "a hard day … not good" for the company. "But fortunately no one is hurt and with everything we learn From this anomaly the dragon team will be a safer tool for all its future crews, "he squeaked.

SpaceX said it would ensure, through accident investigations, that the dragon was one of the safest spaces ever built for astronauts. The California-based company has released some details, though, about the accident itself and how it could affect future flights.

Former NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe, now at Syracuse University, said by email that "it's too early to know what the consequences are."

NASA has not launched astronauts from Cape Canaveral since the last flight in 2011, instead of paying for a rider on Russian rockets, and has turned the work into two private companies – SpaceX and Boeing – to build new caps for transporting astronauts to and from the space station.


Source link